Artist Access Grant
The Artist Access program provides up to $1,000 to artists who have never received a grant from the Arrowhead Regional Arts Council. The funding is designed to allow you to carry out a well-planned project that will allow you to grow as an artist or to take advantage of an impending opportunity. Funding for projects that include out-of-state activities is prohibited in this program.
Application Deadlines for FY20:
For projects beginning October 1, 2019: Friday, July 26, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
For projects beginning April 1, 2020: Friday, January 31, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Applications open six weeks prior to the deadline.
|Applications Open||Application Deadline||Board Approval Meeting||Earliest Possible Starting Date|
|Applications will be open and available to submit online on this date.||Applications must be submitted online by 4:30 p.m. on this date.||Panel recommendations will be approved by the Board on this date.||Grant projects may not start prior to this date.|
|Friday, June 14, 2019||Friday, July 26, 2019||Thursday, September 19, 2019||Tuesday, October 1, 2019|
|Friday, December 20, 2019||Friday, January 21, 2020||Thursday, March 19, 2020||Wednesday, April 1, 2020|
- Artistic Quality, both of past work and of the proposal presented
- Impact of the project on the artist’s career.
- Ability to carry out the project
Equipment or technology purchases are allowed but must be integral to the artistic project proposed. An approved project must begin within six months.
To be eligible to apply for this program, you must be at least eighteen years old, a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status, and be a resident of Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, or St. Louis County for at least six months, and remain a Minnesota resident for the duration of the project. Individuals enrolled in arts-related degree programs are INELIGIBLE to apply.
For complete eligibility requirements, please read the guidelines.
How to Apply:
Please read the guidelines completely before beginning your application, and feel free to contact the Grants Manager with questions.
Applications must be completed and submitted using the ARAC Grant Portal. Submissions in any other format, including email, will not be accepted. Instructions for navigating the online system can be found in both the guidelines and by clicking on the ‘Apply Now’ button below.
- The online application process will walk you through submitting your application.
- To be eligible, your application must include all materials listed as required in the online application.
- Applications must be received into the online system by 4:30 p.m. on the deadline date. Applications received after this time are ineligible and will not be reviewed. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Your answers in this section should demonstrate an understanding of your discipline or medium, a level of competency in your work, and clarity of vision.
- What do you propose to do with this grant?
- Describe your artistic work (including your focus and motivation). Tell us your current goals and describe where you want your work to go in the future.
You’ll be asked to attach a sample of your work.
Impact and Evaluation
The impact of your project is determined by the project’s appropriateness to furthering or achieving your artistic goals.
- How does this opportunity/project advance your artistic career?
This section is for you to tell us about your goals and how you plan to know whether you succeeded in reaching them. The first section is really about your conception of the work. If you don’t know how to answer this question, please contact us and talk the issue through with our Grants Manager. Don’t wait until the final two weeks before the deadline, as they may be too busy to provide much help. Know that goal statements such as “I want to finish a set of paintings,” are acceptable, but might receive a very low score. Outcomes such as, “I finished the performance,” are also potentially low scoring.
- What goals/outcomes do you hope to address or achieve through engaging in this activity?
- How will you know if you’ve been successful?
Your capacity to undertake your project. This includes: providing a budget that is realistic, feasible, and demonstrates a clear understanding of the scope of your project; adequate support materials; as well as narrative responses articulating your readiness to undertake the project. We also look at timetables, past work successes, and confirmation of partnerships (if applicable).
- How will you use the ARAC funding requested for this opportunity? Be as specific as possible.
- Explain any technology or equipment you will be purchasing, or any services or training you will engage (if appropriate).
You’ll be asked to attach an artistic resume, and if applicable, resumes for other individuals participating in your project.
- Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself or your proposal?