ARAC is looking to hire a Media Relations Intern for the first six months of 2016 (January – June). The focus of the position will be on developing and conducting outreach for the local arts community in the Arrowhead Region. This will also include building out our social media platform by contributing to and maintaining our social media sites, as well as contributing to a monthly newsletter. The Media Relations Intern will also create content and promotions with quality graphic designs through print ads, online content and social media. The ideal applicant will be creative and have an expressed interest in the arts, the arts community, and not-for-profit work. In addition to this, the intern is expected to be self-motivated, an open communicator, have strong interpersonal skills, and be able to create and maintain professional relationships out in the community.
The internship is a great opportunity for an individual to get hands-on experience in the unique field of arts funding, how to create community relationships, the field of social media, and will give the applicant the ability to build marketing, communications, and public relations skills. The intern will report to and work closely with the Operations Manager to further the Council’s media relations goals.
Hours: 15 hr/wk
Location: Duluth, MN
Opportunity closes Nov 22, 2015
– Draft and edit marketing materials and press releases
– Maintain a promotional calendar of all ARAC funded artist and organizational events
– Research and promote articles, resources, and happenings within the local arts community
– Produce written and visual social media content, while promoting and maintaining social media sites
-Attend and document ARAC funded events for the ARAC website and social media streams.
– Work within an open and creative learning environment where interns and staff collaborate and co-learn
– Pursuing or recently earned a degree in Graphic Design, Marketing, Public Relations, Arts or other related field
– An interest in and desire to strengthen the local arts community
– Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, content management and all major social media platforms
– Detail oriented with strong interpersonal skills
– Demonstrated ability to communicate well both verbally and in written forms
– Excellent time management and organization skills
– Proven ability and experience with social media campaigns
– Experience writing ad copy and conducting public relations
– Graphic design skills with proficiency in both raster and vector graphics and editing software
– Knowledge of WordPress based website editing and content management