The Arrowhead Regional Arts Council’s mission is to facilitate and encourage local arts development. This mission statement grows from a conviction that the arts improve the quality of life in the region.
We believe that art strengthens communities, stimulates diversity of expression and communication, and commemorates communities and cultures. ARAC believes all people should have opportunities to engage in the arts. Accordingly, ARAC’s vision for the region is that:
• The arts are integrated into the social, political, and economic fabric and identity of every community in the region.
• Artists, arts organizations, and arts activities thrive and contribute to the regional economy.
• Community members and audiences are arts literate.
• ARAC will communicate with grant applicants and other constituents in a clear, thorough, and prompt manner and will deliver respectful service and assistance.
• ARAC will maintain transparent decision-making processes, and accessible public information.
• ARAC’s programs and services will reflect its Mission, and achieve its Vision.
The Arrowhead Regional Arts Council serves individual artists, nonprofit arts organizations, informal arts groups, community education organizations, and non-arts nonprofit organizations with annual operating expenses under $160,000, which reside in Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Lake, Koochiching, and St. Louis counties. This region includes Duluth as it urban center, but also serves a significant rural population. The region comprises 22% of the state’s geography and serves a population of approximately 340,000 people or 6% of the state’s total population.
As one of the 11 regional arts councils in Minnesota, ARAC’s funding is derived from appropriations from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the State’s general fund and Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund (Legacy Amendment) as appropriated by the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008. ARAC also receives a generous grant from The McKnight Foundation.
For more on ARAC’s programming and the Arrowhead Arts Awards, please visit our Arts Impact page.